There was panic Thursday morning after UP Police received a bomb threat call targeted at the iconic Taj Mahal, which later turned out to be a hoax. The world-famous tourist monument was briefly shut and all tourists were evacuated.
The call that came to the Police helpline number sent the forces into a frenzy. The CISF personnel at the Taj Mahal were informed immediately and they promptly evacuated all those present inside the complex. Security forces then took over the 17th-century monument for thorough checking and to foil any sabotage attempt.
Authorities cordoned off and thoroughly checked the entire area following the bomb threat. However, entry to tourists resumed a little after 11 am after no bomb was found, confirmed the police.
The hoax call has been traced to Firozabad in Uttar Pradesh as told to the media by the police.
“This morning, an unknown person called on UP 112 and said there will be a bomb blast at the Taj Mahal. Immediately, as per SOP, our bomb squad and other teams conducted a thorough search of the premises. So far, our field units haven’t given any information of such an item being found,” said A Satish Ganesh, Inspector General, Agra.
The monument remained closed for several months last year due to the pandemic and was flung open to tourists from September. However, strict protocols prevail and there are safety guidelines that need to be adhered to.
The ivory-white marble mausoleum is a major tourist attraction drawing over seven million visitors each year including a large number of foreign tourists. The Taj Mahal and other monuments in Agra, including the Agra Fort, contribute massively to the revenue of Uttar Pradesh.