Army chief general M M Naravane on Tuesday mentioned that he was optimistic that the Indian and Chinese militaries will be able to work out a truce and there will be disengagement and de-escalation of tension in eastern Ladakh.
Addressing a seminar, the army chief said senior military commanders of India and China are holding talks to iron out modalities for de-escalation of tension in eastern Ladakh.
“We are hopeful of reaching an agreement which is mutually acceptable and is really beneficial in keeping with the overarching policy guidelines,” he said. The chief of Army staff also said that the situation in eastern Ladakh is quite normal and peaceful now.
Both India and China are likely to hold another round of military talks to deliberate on the border issue in the long-negotiated disengagement process in eastern Ladakh.
The eighth round of Corps Commander-level talks on Friday had discussed broadly disengagement of troops from specific friction points as both countries would like to take the “constructive” dialogue forward.
In the joint statement released thereafter on Friday, the Indian Army and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) called the talks as candid, in-depth and constructive. The statement said it was agreed to earnestly implement the important consensus reached by the leaders of the two countries and ensure that the frontline troops exercise restraint and avoid misunderstanding and miscalculation.
Close to 50,000 troops of Indian soldiers are currently deployed in a high state of combat readiness in various mountainous terrains in eastern Ladakh. The climatic condition in those areas is very harsh and the soldiers are braving sub-zero conditions.
So far, several rounds of talks between the two sides have not yielded any concrete outcome to resolve the standoff. China has also deployed the same number of troops to tackle any exigency along the borders. The Ladakh standoff between India and China erupted in early May.