Disengagement by India and China on both banks of the Pangong Lake has been completed, said official sources.
The disengagement has been completed just in time ahead of the commander level meeting between the two countries tomorrow. India and China will now deliberate on disengagement in Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra in the 10th round of senior commander level talks on Saturday, according to sources.
The talks will begin at 10 am tomorrow at Moldo near Chushul on the South Bank of Pangong.
After months of acrimony and differences, both countries have pulled back troops, tanks and other equipment from the banks of Pangong Tso, which had turned into a flashpoint in the prolonged border dispute.
Several Chinese military camps that were seen in satellite images of some areas on the northern bank of Pangong Tso supplied by Maxar Technologies are now evacuated.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh in his parliamentary speech said that both sides had agreed to pull back troops in “a phased, coordinated and verified manner” around Pangong Tso. He also said that after the mutual disengagement the military commanders would discuss ending the standoff in other parts of the Ladakh frontier as well.
Tensions began escalating along the high-altitude border in April, when India blamed Chinese soldiers of intrusion and entering into its side of the Line of Actual Control, the de facto border between the two countries.
The confrontation snowballed in June when 20 Indian soldiers were martyred in a physical clash on June 15 at Galwan Valley in Ladakh.
Despite several subsequent rounds of diplomatic and military talks, both countries couldn’t settle on an agreement until February.
However, videos and images released by the army earlier this week showed Chinese troops uprooting bunkers and tents, and tanks, soldiers and vehicles moving out as part of the disengagement process.